The commonly used communication systems like Feldbus, Interbus or Profibus have been increasingly replaced by PROFINET, an Ethernet-based data communication system, in production areas. This situation however comes with an enormous risk potential in addition to economic advantages because standard components are now used for exchanging data.
With the growing inter-networking of the production systems, which sometimes extends into the office environment, the complexity and vulnerability of the networks is increasing.
- Linking all the production equipment without any risk to the existing network or the production itself
- Ensuring immediate access to production systems for maintenance technicians by defining specific communication channels and appropriate security of these channels
- Ensuring the integrity of the network by only granting network access for the defined (internal and approved) devices
- Supporting the ISO 27001 certification, the implementation of the BSI* standard for information security management and the IT baseline security catalogues
- Monitoring and control of all the devices present in the network (live asset management) and documentation of all accesses to the network
- Different access control to selected network areas like production VLAN and office VLAN
- Defining specific data routes and transfer interfaces for better and more specific protection of sensitive data like technological know-how or production data
*BSI: Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik = Federal Office for Information Security